Monday, March 24, 2014

Peter Pan ~ Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

Peter Pan ~ Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust



Peter Pan is the story of a boy that refuses to grow up and a slightly spoiled girl, Wendy who considers joining him in never growing up in Neverland.

In the story Peter tells Wendy and her brothers, Michael and John that all they need to fly was Faith, Trust and just a little bit of Pixie Dust, and oh yes a happy thought.

As a Christian I believe this holds true to us. First off I believe Jesus wants us to come to Him as a child. Now that does not mean only children can become believers or you must be saved as a child.
Matthew 18:2-4
He (Jesus) said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

I believe that Jesus is saying be like a child. So let’s explore what it is about a child. A child is uneducated, uninhibited, selfish and needy. Is that what Jesus meant? I don’t think so. So let’s move on. A child’s mind is open. They are willing to believe the impossible is real and possible. They are amazed by the little things. They are hard to fool (try to do close up magic with a child). I believe that is what Jesus/God is looking for!

Peter Pan wanted to avoid grownup responsibility. That is not what God/Jesus wants. Instead He wants us to have Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust. He wants to be our Happy Thought.

The Faith we need is in Him. The Trust we need is in His provision and the people He places in our lives. The Pixie Dust are the many blessings He bestows on us. He can and should be our Happy Thought lifting us up above the troubles of the world. He lifts us up not to avoid responsibility but so we can be refreshed and face them.

In 1998 my husband was electrocuted in a freak accident. CPR was done for 45 minutes and he was declared brain dead. 36 hours after his accident I was asked to make the decision that no loved one should have to make to take him off of life support to let him die in peace. Knowing his past medical history, faith in God and desire for quality of life I allowed the life support to be removed. I simply placed my loving husband into God’s powerfully loving arms and trusted Him for the best.

Here is where I came to God with childlike faith. I put aside the reality that my husband could not and would not survive or that if he did he would have no quality of life. I trusted that God could do the impossible and waited. I did not demand total healing. I did not tell God He HAD to at least partly heal my husband. I just simply told God I trusted Him to leave my husband here on earth with me or take him home to Glory as was His perfect will. I chose to be at peace no matter what the outcome.

Within an hour of my husband being taken off of life support he was sitting up in a chair talking to the nurses! From a best hoped for outcome of a turn and baste vegetable laying in a bed to a talking and walking man! Is my husband unscathed from his accident? No. He has some short term memory issues and neurological issues, He does remember me, our daughter, family members and close friends and he can hold down his job. We were greatly BLESSED!


Every day I rely on Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust to get me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment